15.4.13

Deciphering the Spring Season

About a month back, I was asked to complete the Spring banner for Underneath Stardoll. Being the exceptionally lazy person I am, put the task off, and when the time had risen, I realized I had a request to finish. First I wanted to add the three USD founders of the blog, but if you're a graphic designer, you'd realize some skin tones are extremely hard to work with--and that's what I found with the two remaining founders.

So with a bit more photo-searching, I found an easier reference to work with. None the less, I'm really quite happy with the results:

(click image to enlarge)

I think this is another one of my better graphics. While the skin is rather lightly shaded, and the dress is much darker, I think it transitions nicely. I also love the hair, and I find the shadows cast on the model's skin are really quite nice.

I also did the cheekbones different from what I normally do, and I think this doesn't make the graphic as harsh-looking.

My only complaint is the mouth is a bit blurry.

The one thing I had the most difficult time with was the background. Believe it or not, but I couldn't really find anything that worked well with the model. The final background selection itself is a bit choppy, but I'm not sure if it'd look better if I blurred it.

All in all, I think this wasn't too bad of a fail. What do you guys think?

6 comments:

  1. I am not a fan of background. It is not very spring looking and is a bit pixeled. Otherwise I am in love with dress. It is just a piece of art. Hair also are very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous15/4/13 23:42

    Really pretty, I saw it on USD and was just blown away. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous15/4/13 23:47

    Great graphic but don't look like spring . There is no bright colors.Also you the background should look like spring it just looks dull and the tree should be a cherry blossom tree

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, I don't like the background either- maybe you could have blurred it up so it would be less pixelated?
    I'm in LOVE with the dress, though! Did you draw the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous16/4/13 10:26

      Thank you for your feedback! And sort of--at first I used a star selection tool to grab the same color off the dress as the original did, but then I kind of used that as a base and added a drop shadow plus the pink-ish hues you can see :)

      Delete
  5. I would have prefered a more vivid background as the banner is for spring, this one kinda darkens the banner. Apart from that, I think that the is amazing! And your hair is very nice too (the folded paper days are over)!

    Oh and I just noticed! Where is the second leg's calf?????

    ReplyDelete