24.3.13

Experimenting with colour (UNFINISHED)


Long time no graphics! This is the first time I have made a graphic since OCTOBER 2012! I have recently downloaded GIMP to see what it is like as I was getting bored of Paint.net and thought I would need a fresh start. It's not really Stardoll related at all but it's still a graphic! This graphic is obviously unfinished, and I have a long way to go! It's inspired by the work of Minja Lee, who is an amazing graphic artist and I used this photo of Chanel Iman as a base, the colours are pretty much improvised.

The graphic is going to be the header for my RL blog (I don't want to post it here), but i'm posting this graphic because I need help! I have completely forgotten how to shade faces :( 

Anyone got any tips on how to shade faces using Gimp or face shading in general?

Missceaaria

4 comments:

  1. When I can't think of how to shade something I actually go here, to this very blog, and look at how other designers have shaded that particular thing I want to draw. So I get an idea of what I should do and I get to experiment with opacity and layers.

    I think that gimp is much better than paint.net...I can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the thing is, i have no clue where to start - whether to start with the darker layers or lighter ones?

      gimp is 100x better than paint.net, glad i upgraded tbf

      Delete
    2. Okay, I'll try to explain how I shade and I hope it will help:
      -start with the darker layers and make sure you have around 3-4 with opacity somewhere 5%
      -once you're done select the areas that should be lighter or glow a little and shade with white to opacity somewhere around 12% or more and use 2 layers OR as Jack does (from what he mentioned in his 'The Truth About Graphics' post) fill those areas with a color a bit lighter from your base tone

      Delete
  2. I shade my graphics with 7.5, both black and white.
    Before you shade anymore, I'd recommend drawing out where your nose is gonna be. Then I'd work around that dark area of the face.

    ReplyDelete